Thursday, November 3, 2011

Name That Tune

When I was in middle school, my favorite teacher, Mr. Kanney, had us play "Name that tune" anytime we had a free minute or two at the end of class. He tuned the radio to Oldies, and if we were able to either determine the song's name or artist, our class would receive a point for each we got right. If memory serves me right, my math class had the longest reign in our middle school years, a consecutive score somewhere in the 70s.

It is certainly not the same as 7th grade, but I often think of "name that tune" when driving through certain states in this great country. They conjure up old country tunes in my mind as we travel the interstates whether it be city or countryside.

Some tunes that most often come to mind (I'm not entirely sure of the artists anymore, or some song titles; I'll give a few of the lyrics):

-Amarillo by morning, Amarillo's on my mind (George Strait)

-Going through the big D and don't mean Dallas

-All my exes live in Texas...and that's why I reside in Tennessee (Hank Williams)

-Would you paint me a Birmingham

-There is no Arizona, no painted desert, no Sedona

-I've got ocean-front property in Arizona

-P.S. If this is Austin, I still love you (Blake Shelton)

-Calling Baton Rouge (Garth Brooks)

-Beaches of Cheyenne (Garth Brooks)

-it goes through St. Louie, Joplin, Missouri, Oklahoma City is oh so pretty (insert lyrics I don't know here)...Gallup, New Mexico...get your kicks on Route 66

-I was standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona

-Take the last train to Clarksville (not that we've ever driven through there)

-I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die (Johnny Cash)

-Little Rock

-Take me home, country roads, to the place I belong: West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home (John Denver)

-Going to Miami (Will Smith)

-New York, New York (Frank Sinatra)

-Ooooooklahoma (the musical)

-Heads Carolina, tails California (Jo Dee Messina)


I know there are many more; can you think of any?


Present location: onward toward Houston, TX
Miles in the last 2 weeks: 11,500
Recent friendly encounters: David, Emily, Michael, Joanna, Adrianna & Sophie Martinek in Seattle; Kristen Willard visiting Bend from D.C.; Grandpa Wilker, Tom, Es, Jan, Sandy & Bridget Beyke, Kate, Joe & Andy, Sarah, Zack & Izabel in a surprise visit out for supper in Springfield; and John, Kay & Katie Martinek in Dallas/Ft. Worth. That's a lot of visits!!


2 comments:

Beth F said...

Cotton on the roadside, cotton in the ditch....

Living in the sough Georgia countryside, that song makes total sense now!

Beth

Sandy said...

How about Life is a Highway? Especially fitting for you two! :)